Internal mail for other parts of the University (including Colleges) may be placed in the UMS (University Messenger Service) basket, situated on top of the Reception pigeon-holes. It normally goes out at approximately 2.00pm daily.
Incoming mail goes in the pigeon-holes at reception. (Please note that the pigeon-hole numbers are to the left.) It is then taken to the relevant floor, and put in the pigeon-holes there. You may look in either place for your mail.
Outgoing mail can be left in a basket on top of the Reception pigeon-holes. It will be sent out 2nd class, unless the envelope is marked 1st class. Please write the grant code which the mail is to be charged to, in the top left-hand corner of the envelope. Stamps may be purchased at Reception for private mail, and stamped mail may be posted at reception –except at Christmas. All franked mail will be sent out by 4.45pm Monday to Thursday and 4.15pm on Friday.
Recorded Delivery, Special Delivery and International Signed For can all be franked up at Reception, BUT you must then take the item to be mailed to the Post Office in St Andrew’s Street.
- Recorded Delivery:- Letters etc can be sent First or Second Class, with an added payment for the Recorded service. These should be signed for at the destination.
- Special Delivery:- This guarantees that the letter/parcel will be delivered by 1.00pm the following day. The package will be signed for at the destination. If the Royal Mail lose it, they will give compensation. You can choose from £500, £1000 or £2,500 compensation. You pay more, for more insurance.
- International Signed For:- This is charged at the airmail rate, plus an extra fee. The package is signed for at the destination, and if anything untoward happens to it, compensation of up to £30, or the value of the item (whichever is lower) can be claimed.
Live material e.g. Drosophila, can only be sent via the Royal Mail. Customs Declaration Forms are available from Reception.
We have accounts with the following couriers:
FedEx:- Can be used for International shipments only. All shipments must be with Linda by 12.30pm. Please provide the following information:
- name, address and phone number of the recipient
- the grant code to be charged
- the country of origin of the goods to be shipped
If the Recipient is paying, you must provide their FedEx account number.
DHL:- Can be used for International or National shipments. Please let the Receptionist know the name, address and phone number of the Recipient. All shipments must be with Linda by 2.30pm at the latest. If the parcel contains anything other than documents, a customs form has to be filled in. These are available from Reception. If the shipment is on Dry Ice, please state how much Dry Ice has been used, to the nearest half kilo.
NB If a FedEx or DHL parcel contains anything other than documents, please set out a letter, with the Departmental logo on it, stating: to whom the parcel is being sent; the contents of the parcel; whether it is toxic or hazardous; and please give it a nominal value, eg £1, $1 etc. If the parcel contains Dry Ice, please let the Receptionist know how much Dry Ice is in the parcel, to the nearest half kilo.