skip to primary navigationskip to content
- Cant, MA, Nichols, HJ, Johnstone, RA & Hodge, SJ (2014) Policing of reproduction by hidden threats in a cooperative mammal. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 111: 326–330.
- Johnstone, RA & Kuijper, B. (2014) Kin competition and the evolution of sex differences in development time and body size. American Naturalist, 183: 537–546.
- Johnstone, RA, Manica, A., Fayet, A. L., Stoddard, M. C., Rodriguez-Gironés, M. A. & Hinde, C. A. (2014) Reciprocity and conditional cooperation between great tit parents. Behavioral Ecology, 25: 216–222.
- Kuijper, B, Johnstone, RA & Townley, S. (2014) The evolution of multivariate maternal effects. PLoS computational biology, 10: e1003550.
- Laidre, M. E. & Johnstone, R. A. 2013. Animal signals. Current Biology, 23: R829–R833.
- Gingins, S, Werminghausen, J, Johnstone, RA, Grutter, AS & Bshary, R (2013) Power and temptation cause shifts between exploitation and cooperation in a cleaner wrasse mutualism. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences, 280: 20130553.
- Nakayama, S, Stumpe, MC, Manica, A and Johnstone, RA (2013). Experience overrides personality differences in the tendency to follow but not in the tendency to lead. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences, 280: 20131724. link
- Savage, JL, Russell, AF and Johnstone, RA (2013). Intra-group relatedness affects parental and helper investment rules in offspring care. Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology, 67: 1855-1865. link
- Kuijper, B and Johnstone, RA (2013). How should parents adjust the size of their young in response to local environmental cues? Journal of evolutionary biology, 26: 1488-1498. link
- Ma, W-J, Kuijper, B, de Boer, JG, van de Zande, L, Beukeboom, LW, Wertheim, B and Pannebakker, BA (2013). Absence of complementary sex determination in the parasitoid wasp genus asobara (hymenoptera: braconidae). PloS one, 8: e60459. link
- Savage, JL, Russell, AF and Johnstone, RA 2013. Maternal costs in offspring production affect investment rules in joint rearing. Behavioral Ecology, 24: 750-758. link
- Young, C, Browning, LE, Savage, JL, Griffith, SC and Russell, AF (2013). No evidence for deception over allocation to brood care in a cooperative bird. Behavioral Ecology, 24: 70-81. link
- Evans, MR, Bro-Jorgensen, J and Johnstone, RA (2012). Tail manipulations affect fitness traits in male barn swallows. Animal Behaviour, 83: e4-e5
- Grodzinski, U and Johnstone, RA (2012). Parents and offspring in an evolutionary game: The effect of supply on demand when costs of care vary. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences, 279: 109-115
- Johnstone, RA, Cant, MA and Field, J (2012). Sex-biased dispersal, haplodiploidy and the evolution of helping in social insects. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences, 279: 787-793
- Kuijper, B, Pen, I & Weissing, FJ 2012. A Guide to Sexual Selection Theory. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics, 43, 287-311.
- Kuijper, B and Johnstone, RA (2012). How dispersal influences parent-offspring conflict over investment. Behavioral Ecology 23: 898-906.
- de Boer, JG, Kuijper, B, Heimpel, GE and Beukeboom, LW (2012). Sex determination meltdown upon biological control introduction of the parasitoid Cotesia rubecula. Evolutionary Applications 5: 444-454.
- Nakayama, S, Harcourt, JL, Johnstone, RA and Manica, A (2012). Initiative, personality and leadership in pairs of foraging fish. PLoS ONE, 7
- Port, M, Johnstone, RA and Kappeler, PM (2012). The evolution of multi-male groups in Verreaux' sifaka, or how to test an evolutionary demographic model. Behavioral Ecology 23: 889-897.
- Rollins, L, Browning, LE, Holleley, CE, Savage, JL, Russell, AF and Griffith, SC (2012). Building genetic networks using relatedness information: a novel approach for the estimation of dispersal and characterization of group structure in social animals. Molecular Ecology 21: 1727-1740
- Stulp, G, Kuijper, B, Buunk, AP, Pollet, TV & Verhulst, S (2012) Intralocus sexual conflict over human height. Biology letters, 8, 976-8
- Johnstone, RA (2011). Load lightening and negotiation over offspring care in cooperative breeders. Behavioral Ecology, 22: 436-444
- Johnstone, RA and Kilner, RM (2011). New labels for old whines. Behavioral Ecology, 22: 918-919
- Johnstone, RA and Manica, A (2011). Evolution of personality differences in leadership. PNAS, 108: 8373-8378
- Fawcett, TW, Kuijper, B, Weissing, FJ and Pen, I (2011). Sex-ratio control erodes sexual selection, revealing evolutionary feedback from adaptive plasticity. PNAS 108: 15925-15930. link, pdf
- Port, M, Kappeler, PM and Johnstone, RA (2011) Communal defense of territories and the evolution of sociality The American Naturalist, 178: 787-800
- Rands, SA, Evans, MR and Johnstone, RA (2011) The dynamics of honesty: Modelling the growth of costly, sexually-selected ornaments. PLoS ONE, 6(11)
- Fawcett, TW and Johnstone, RA (2010) Learning your own strength: Winner and loser effects should change with age and experience. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences, 277: 1427-1434
- Johnstone, RA and Cant, MA (2010) The evolution of menopause in cetaceans and humans: The role of demography. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences, 277: 3765-3771
- Hinde, CA, Johnstone RA and Kilner, RM (2010) Parent-Offspring Conflict and Coadaptation. Science 327: 1373-1376
- Harcourt, JL, Biau, S, Johnstone, RA and Manica, A (2010) Boldness and information use in three-spined sticklebacks. Ethology, 116: 440-447
- Harcourt, J, Sweetman, G, Manica, A and Johnstone RA (2010) Pairs of Fish Resolve Conflicts over Coordinated Movement by Taking Turns. Current Biology 20: 156-160
- Kuijper, B and Pen, I (2010). Evolution of haplodiploidy by male-killing endosymbionts: importance of spatial population structure and endosymbiont mutualisms. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 23: 40-52. link, pdf, supplement 1, supplement 2
- Port, M and Kappeler, PM (2010) The utility of reproductive skew theory in the study of male primates: a critical evaluation. Evolutionary Anthropology 19: 46-56
- Port, M, Johnstone RA and Kappeler, PM (2010) Costs and benefits of multi-male associations in redfronted lemurs. (Eulemur fulvus rufus) Biology Letters 6: 620-622