skip to primary navigationskip to content

Going on Fieldwork

Working Away from Cambridge : advice and information for PhD students and Supervisors

The Faculty of History has an excellent guide you might like to follow when planning your work away from the Department: Health and Safety - Leave to Work Away.


Permission to "Work Away"

In order to conduct fieldwork away from Cambridge, you must first apply to the Student Registry for "leave to work away". This can be done via your CamSIS Self-Service. Please note that the process has various stages of approval,  therefore you should begin this process a reasonable time before your intended departure date (and it cannot be granted retrospectively).


Travel Insurance

Graduate students can apply for cover from the University's Travel Insurance policy while they are working away from Cambridge (as long as you have applied for permission to work away - see above). Full information, and the application form, can be found on the Insurance Section website.


Fieldwork Funds

At the same time as applying for Leave to Work Away, you may also upload an application for University Fieldwork Funds. You may apply for up to 80% of value of the University Composition Fee (not the College Fee) for the terms you are working away from Cambridge, paid directly into your bank account (not refunded to your sponsor). The fees payable for each term can be found on the Student Registry's 'Fees Listings' page. Further details and the application form are available at the link below.


Risk Assessment

If you didn't complete a Fieldwork Risk Assessment when you submitted your Feasibility Report, or if you will be visiting a different field site, you should complete a new form before embarking on your fieldwork. The form is available at the link below, and once completed and signed by your supervisor, should be sent to the Graduate Administrator.