skip to primary navigationskip to content

Research Support


The Departmental Administrator, Julian Jacobs, will be able to help with information about:

  • grant funding
  • equipment funding
  • recruitment and management of staff
  • allocation of space.

The Principal Assistant, Elizabeth MacRae, will be able to help with most queries concerning:

  • research facilities
  • equipment
  • scientific purchasing
  • technician staffing/responsibilities.



If you are planning to bring new insect or aquatic cultures into the Department, for quarantine advice contact:

Insect Cultures and Aquarium: Nigel Hall


Wet Lab

B13B in the basement of the Austin Building is a wet lab for Part II project experiments. Please contact the Part II Teaching Office ( if you would like to use this facility.


Named Animal Care & Welfare Officer (NACWO) - Alan Graham (PDN. Email: ajg40 Phone: 33319)

All vertebrate work should be discussed with Alan at the planning stage (i.e. before acquiring any animals).


General Laboratory Services

For advice on Departmental procedures on tissue culture, glass washing, autoclaving (waste & media) and constant temperature (CT) rooms please contact Elizabeth MacRae.

For advice on the Roche In House Freezer (storing enzymes) please contact Ken Siggens.

For advice on Departmental RO and Ultra Pure Water Systems please contact




Confocal Microscope: Matt Wayland

Information is available here. Specimens can be prepared in Zoology, but the SEM is in PDN (Cambridge Advanced Imaging Centre), which currently charges £35/hr (paid out of individual's own research grant).

There is an online booking system for the Confocal Microscope available here.




This service aims to design/develop/modify/make unique apparatus for research and provide advice.

School of Biological Sciences Workshops

The full list of workshops of the School of Biological Sciences is available here.



If you need help developing your research group web pages please contact:

Camtools  This university service is primarily used in the Zoology Department for teaching purposes but it can also be used by research groups to exchange ideas and data etc.  Becky Ramshaw can provide advice on how to set up a site or you can find out more on the Caret website.


Reprographic and Audio Visual

There are a number of Reprographic and Audio Visual Services in the university.  Jacek Zalewski in the Elementary Laboratory can provide advice about these services but further information can be found here

Photography & Illustration Services (PandIS)

The School of the Biological Sciences visual media and workshop facilities


Research Facilities and Centres

There are a large number of research support facilities and inter-departmental, inter-School and inter-University research centres whose web sites listed here.


Research Grants Administration

The Research Grants Administrator for the Department is Anastasia Nezhentseva. Anastasia's role is to provide support in all aspects of the administration of research grant applications from the proposal to the final report.

There is a wealth of information about research grants made available by the University's Research Operations Office. Please go to their website where you will find up-to-date information on available grants, advice on how to apply, contract negotiation and much more.


X5 (the successor to pFACT)

All Principal Investigators are asked to note that applications for grant funding will almost always require an X5 costing. Please discuss this with Anastasia at the earliest opportunity.

See the Research Operations Office's X5 page for any new updates.

The Department's point of contact for grant applications in the Research Operations Office is Thomas O'Neill (phone: 01223 765870 Thomas.O'


Post award

At the post award stage please contact Simon Beeton in Accounts.


Open Access and Research Data Management

Open Access

The new HEFCE Open Access policy which applies to all researchers came into force on 1st April. This states that the eligibility of articles for the next REF is dependent on them being deposited in Apollo, the University’s institutional repository.

The Author’s Accepted Manuscript should be uploaded to the Open Access website before any copyright or Open Access agreements are signed.

See the website or contact the for information on compliance, OA publishing, copyright, article processing charges and funder policies.


Research Data Management

Many research funders require that research data is openly available with as few restrictions as possible.

The University's Research Data Management website has resources available to researchers including:

  • information on available data repositories, including the University repository
  • links to funders' policies
  • a data management plan support service
  • training and events to help with research data management
  • FAQs about data sharing

Contact the for further information.