The Fund has been established for the furtherance of original research in Biology. The income accruing from the Fund shall be applied: to endow a Studentship, the holder of which shall undertake original research in Biology, especially Animal Morphology.
Eligible candidates will be identified by the Fund Managers once they have begun the normal process of admission to a graduate course in the Department, and provided that the 4th January 2017 funding deadline has been met.
Balfour Fund and Studentship
Endowments, 1904, (pp. 347–50 2013)
Name and purpose.
1. The fund shall be called the Balfour Fund and shall be devoted to the furtherance of original research in Biology.
Administration by Managers and Faculty Board of Biology.
2. The administration of the Fund shall be entrusted to three Managers, in conjunction with the Faculty Board of Biology, which Faculty Board is hereinafter called the Board. Appointments of Managers shall be made by the Board, and shall be for a period of five years in each case. Managers may be either members of the Board or not, and retiring Managers shall be re-eligible. All the powers of the Managers may be exercised by a majority of those present at a meeting, provided that two Managers at least be present.
3. The income accruing from the Fund shall be applied:
- Balfour Studentship.
(a)to endow a Studentship, to be called the Balfour Studentship, the holder of which shall undertake original research in Biology, especially Animal Morphology;
- (b)to further, by occasional grants of money, original research in the same subject.
Value of Studentship.
4. The annual value of the Studentship shall be determined for each year of the Student's tenure by the Board on the recommendation of the Managers and within a range approved from time to time by the Council.
Nomination to Board by Managers.
5. The Managers shall, when they decide that the income of the Fund in any year together with the accumulated income of the Fund is sufficient to enable a vacancy to be filled, nominate a person duly qualified in their opinion to the Board for election, and the Board shall, if they see fit, elect the person so nominated. The Managers shall give such notice of the vacancy or expected vacancy as they shall think desirable, and the Managers in nominating a person for election shall take into consideration the qualifications of all candidates whose names are sent in to them.
6. The Studentship shall not be awarded by the result of a competitive examination.
7. Subject to the foregoing provision the Managers of the Board may take such steps as they may think fit to inquire into the qualifications of the candidates.
Not confined to members of the University.
8. Candidature for the Studentship shall be open, but the Student, if not a member of the University, must become such before the end of the term next after election and remain such during tenure.
Student to be devoted to biological research
9. The Student during his or her tenure of the Studentship shall undertake original biological research, and shall not systematically follow any business or profession or engage in any educational or other work which in the opinion of those entrusted with the administration of the Fund would interfere with the Student's inquiries.
10. If the Managers shall at any time learn that the Student is following any such business or profession, or has undertaken any such work, as would in their opinion interfere with the Student's inquiries, they shall at once call upon him or her to desist from the same, and if the Student shall refuse or neglect so to do they shall report the circumstances to the Board, and the Board may, if they think fit, remove such Student from the Studentship.
or for other causes.
If the Managers shall be of opinion that, through any other causes, such as confirmed ill health or want of diligence, the Student is not fulfilling and is not likely to fulfil the objects of the Studentship, they shall report accordingly to the Board, and the Board may, if they see fit, remove such Student from the Studentship.
Place and nature of studies:
diligence and progress.
11. The place and nature of the studies of the Student shall be subject to the approval of the Managers provided that the Student shall be bound to study within the University during at least three terms during the tenure of the Studentship unless the Managers shall, with the approval of the Board, dispense with this requirement for special reasons. The Managers shall take such steps as they may think necessary to satisfy themselves as to the diligence and progress of the Student and may require from the Student any reports or other information on the subject of his or her studies which they may think desirable.
12. The Studentship shall, subject as hereinbefore mentioned, be tenable for not more than three years; but it shall be lawful for the Managers (if they shall think fit) to nominate, and for the Board (if they shall think fit) to elect for a second period of not more than three years any Student whose work shall have been of such exceptional promise that it would, in the opinion of the Managers and of the Board, be clearly in the interests of biological research that such Student should continue to hold the Studentship for a second period of not more than three years.
Payment of stipend.
13. The stipend of the Student shall be paid in such manner as the Managers shall from time to time determine.
14. Any unexpended income accumulated in the Fund after providing for the Studentship and for any necessary expenses connected with the election may be used by the Managers with the approval of the Board to make grants for the purpose of furthering original research in Biology, especially Animal Morphology, either to the Balfour Student or to any other person engaged in research, subject to conditions made by the Managers with the approval of the Board.
15. These regulations, except Regulation 1, shall be subject to alteration by Grace provided that the main object of the Fund, that is to say the furtherance of original research in Biology, be adhered to.