Prince Philip Professor of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
Tel.: +44 (0)1223 336605
My research focusses both on the evolution of animal breeding systems and on the way in which these affect population dynamics and selection. Specific topics we are currently working on include the evolution of cooperation and the causal mechanisms controlling it; negotiation between helpers and juveniles; sexual selection in females and males; and the evolution of ageing. Members of my group work on a wide range of animals including insects, fish, birds and mammals. Much of my own work focusses on three long-term studies: of red deer on the Isle of Rum; of Soay sheep on St Kilda; and of meerkats in the southern Kalahari.
- Clutton-Brock, T.H. , Hodge, S.J., Spong, G., Russell, A.F., Jordan, N.R., Bennett, N.C., Sharpe, L.L. & Manser, M.B. 2006. Intrasexual competition and sexual selection in cooperative mammals. Nature. 444(7122): 1065-1068.
- Clutton-Brock, T.H ., Russell, A.F., Sharpe, L.L., Young, A.J., Balmforth, Z. & McIlrath, G.M. 2002. Evolution and development of sex differences in cooperative behaviour in meerkats. Science. 297(5579): 253-256.
- Clutton-Brock, T.H. , Coulson, T.N., Milner-Gulland, E.J., Thomson D. & Armstrong, H.M. 2002. Sex differences in emigration and mortality affect optimal management of deer populations. Nature. 415(6872): 633-637.
- Clutton-Brock, T.H ., Brotherton, P.N.M., Russell, A.F., O'Riain, M.J., Gaynor, D., Kansky, R., Griffin, A., Manser, M., Sharpe, L., McIlrath, G.M., Small, T., Moss, A. & Monfort, S. 2001. Cooperation, conflict and concession in meerkat groups. Science. 291(5503) : 478-481.
- Clutton-Brock, T.H., Brotherton, P.N.M., Smith, R., McIlrath, G.M., Kansky, R., Gaynor, D., O'Riain, J.M. Skinner, J.D. 1998. Infanticide and expulsion of females in a cooperative mammal. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B 265: 2291-2295.
- Clutton-Brock, T.H., Rose, K.E. and Guinness, F.E. 1997. Density-related changes in sexual selection in red deer. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B 264: 1509-1516.
- Clutton-Brock, T.H., Illius, A., Wilson, K., Grenfell, B.T., MacColl, A. and Albon, S.D. 1997. Stability and instability in ungulate populations: an empirical analysis. American Naturalist 149: 195-219.
- Clutton-Brock, T.H. and Parker, G.A. 1995. Punishment in animal societies. Nature 373: 209-216.