Tel: +44 (0)1223 761362
I am a Postdoctoral Research Associate funded by the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC), and a Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) Knowledge Exchange Fellow.
I work with Professor Bill Sutherland, and with collaborators at the RSPB, the British Trust for Ornithology, UNEP-World Conservation Monitoring Centre, Harper Adams University College, the Scottish Government and the University of Lund, among others.
I am an editor of the online, open access journal Conservation Evidence.Follow @LynnDicks
My work is focused on making wildlife conservation more effective. We do this by making relevant scientific knowledge accessible to conservationists, and by engaging decision-makers in guiding research towards questions of importance in conservation policy and practice.
I co-ordinate the Rural Economy and Land Use (RELU) Programme project Linking Evidence and Policy for Managing Biodiversity in Agricultural Landscapes. We are working with over 200 policymakers, conservationists, farmers and advisers to find out what is important to them in delivering conservation on farmland.
I am developing the Conservation Evidence website, an information resource that supports decisions about how to maintain and restore global biodiversity. In partnership with other organisations, we publish synopses of evidence in areas of particular interest. The first, a synopsis of evidence on wild bee conservation, is now available. We are compiling synopses on birds and farmland in northern Europe.
With funding from NERC, I am putting together a Pollinator Conservation Delivery Group that will link research from the Insect Pollinators Initiative to pollinator conservation efforts in the private and public sectors. A briefing note about this work is available here: Pollinator conservation knowledge exchange project.
- Dicks L. (2013) Bees, lies and evidence-based policy. Nature 494, 283-283.
- Sutherland W.J., Bardsley S., Clout M., Depledge M.H., Dicks L.V., Fellman L., Fleishman E., Gibbons D.W., Keim B., Lickorish F., Margerison C., Monk K.A., Norris K., Peck L.S., Prior S.V., Scharlemann J.r.P.W., Spalding M.D., Watkinson A.R. (2013) A horizon scan of global conservation issues for 2013. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 28, 16-22.
- Williams D.R., Child M.F., Dicks L.V., zu Ermgassen E.K.H.J., Pople R.G., Showler D.A., Sutherland W.J. (2013) Bird Conservation: Evidence for the effects of interventions, 1 ed. Pelagic Publishing.
- Sutherland WJ, Goulson D, Potts SG, Dicks LV (2011) Quantifying the Impact and Relevance of Scientific Research. PLoS ONE 6(11): e27537. doi:10.1371/ journal.pone.0027537
- Sutherland, W. J., Bardsley, S., Bennun, L., Clout, M., Cote, I. M., Depledge, M. H., Dicks, L. V., Dobson, A. P., Fellman, L., Fleishman, E., Gibbons, D. W., Impey, A. J., Lawton, J. H., Lickorish, F., Lindenmayer, D. B., Lovejoy, T. E., Mac Nally, R., Madgwick, J., Peck, L. S., Pretty, J., Prior, S. V., Redford, K. H., Scharlemann, J. P. W., Spalding, M. and Watkinson, A. R. Horizon scan of global conservation issues for 2011. Trends in Ecology & Evolution, 26, 10-16.
- Pywell, R.F., Warman, E.A., Carvell, C., Sparks, T.H., Dicks, L.V., Bennett, D., Wright, A., Critchley, C.N.R. and Sherwood, A., (2005). ‘Providing foraging resources for bumblebees in intensively farmed landscapes.’ Biological Conservation 121: 479-494.
- Dicks, L.V., Corbet, S.A. and Pywell, R.F., (2002). ‘Compartmentalization in plant-insect flower visitor webs.' Journal of Animal Ecology 71: 32-43.
- Kay, S., Gregory, S., Hunt, L. Sutcliffe, O. and Stevenson, M., (2000). 'Rare arable flowers in the Oxford Heights.' Fritillary 2: 58-69.
- Thompson, H.M. and Hunt, L.V., (1999). 'Extrapolating from honeybees to bumblebees in pesticide risk assessment.' Ecotoxicology 8: 147-166.
- Comba, L., Corbet, S., Hunt, L. & Warren, B., (1998). 'Flowers, nectar and insect visits: evaluating British plant species for pollinator-friendly gardens.' Annals of Botany 83: 369-383.