Ecology and Conservation Science
Miriam Rothschild Professor of Conservation Biology
Tel.: +44 (0)1223 336686
I have wide interests in conservation biology. I am especially interested predicting the impacts of environmental change, especially on bird populations. Some of this work combines field data and models while other work is purely based on field work. While much of our work has been in the UK I have been involved in many projects elsewhere in the world and welcome suggestions for collaborations. Another major theme is using evidence-based conservation to collate experience of the effectiveness of interventions (via the website www.conservationevidence.com) and then use this evidence to advise practice. We hope that this will eventually revolutionise global conservation practice.
- Sutherland, W.J. & Freckleton, R.P. (2012) Making predictive ecology more relevant to policy makers and practitioners. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B, 367, 322-330.
- Sutherland, W.J., Goulson, D., Potts, S.G. & Dicks, L.V. (2011). Quantifying the impact and relevance of scientific research. PLoS ONE 6(11):e27537.doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0027537.
- Catry, I., Amano, T. Franco, A.M.A. & Sutherland, W.J. (2011) Influence of spatial and temporal dynamics of agricultural practices on the globally endangered lesser kestrel. Journal of Applied Ecology, 144, 1111-1119.
- Amano, T., Székely, T., Koyama, K., Amano, H. & Sutherland, W.J. (2010) A framework for monitoring the status of populations: an example from wader populations in the East Asian-Australasian flyway. Biological Conservation, 143, 2238-2247.
- Amano, T., Smithers, R.J. Sparks, T.H. & Sutherland, W.J. (2010). A 250-year index of first flowering dates and its response to temperature changes. Proceedings B Royal Society 277, 2451-2457.
- Smith, R.K., Pullin, A.S., Stewart, G.B. & Sutherland, W.J. (2010) Is nest predator exclusion an effective strategy for enhancing bird populations? Biological Conservation, 24, 820-829.
- Tejeda-Cruz, C., Silva-Rivera, E., Barton, J. & Sutherland, W.J. (2010) Why shade coffee does not guarantee biodiversity conservation. Ecology and Society, 15, 13.