skip to primary navigationskip to content

Contacts and Facilities

Graduate Computing Facility

Research students routinely use computing resources provided in their own groups and laboratories but there is also a dedicated research student area in the IT Facility. This area has recently been upgraded.

Most of the general access computers in the Department are connected to the Internet. Wireless access points providing 'UniofCam' (connection via Raven) and 'Eduroam' (permanent connection via certificate) services cover the IT Facility and all other public areas (Library, Lecture theatres, Seminar rooms, Tea room, Elementary laboratory etc.) plus many other areas around the Department and at Madingley.

The Clinical School Computing Service provides support and advice with anything related to computers: buying new equipment, installing new/upgrading software, connecting new computers to the network among other things.

Group Assistants

The first port of call for grads wanting consumables, equipment or general advice on practical work should be the relevant Group Assistant. In this context, the 'Group' is usually a collection of a few different labs that do similar work. Your supervisor will point you in the direction of your Group's Assistant.

The Balfour Library

You will need to know how to navigate your way around the Cambridge libraries system to find those essential journal articles, theses, and books, many thousands of which are available online. The Zoology library itself is a lovely, quiet place to work in and you can bring your laptop to use the UniOfCam wireless network to access all the individual online library resources available.

For support with all your information needs contact the Senior Library Assistant, and see their web pages to find out more.


Linda Blades is on hand to help with mailing queries and buying stamps, to recharge the photocopy card, and to make international calls, among many other things. If you are expecting a visitor, let Linda know. Information on the facilities at reception can be found here.

Purchasing Office

The Purchasing Office deals with all the orders made in the department. If you have to order something yourself, there is useful information here.


If you have any questions about finances (UK funded students), need a refund from a conference you went to or lab material you bought, you'll need to contact Simon Beeton or Jenny Palmer. You might also find the information you are looking for here.

The Insect Hut

Nigel Hall is in charge of the Insect Hut (third floor, roof) for all your creepy-crawly needs!

Imaging Facility

The Department has an excellent Imaging Facility, with several confocal microscopes, laser ablation and image analysis facilities. Matt Wayland should be your first point of contact if you'd like to use any of these, but you can find out more about the facilities available here.

Safety Officer

Ian Goldstone is Department Safety Officer and will tell you all you need to know about filling in Risk Assessments, finding MSDS and the disposal of hazardous chemicals. You can also refer to the Health and Safety pages.