skip to primary navigationskip to content

Getting Help

Everyone experiences highs and lows

Anyone who is passionate about their work will have good days and bad days. Having dips in motivation, mood or success is perfectly natural. Although it may sometimes feel like you are struggling when other people aren’t, this is usually not the case. Inspired by the Royal Society publication Mothers in Science: 64 Ways to Have it All, we spoke to 10 members of our Academic Staff about the ups and downs of their careers, and experiencing the feeling that everyone else is doing better than them.

Where you can go for help

Knowing other people struggle too can sometimes help, but so can talking to other people about the difficulties you’re having. The department runs a mentorship scheme for students and staff. Students should feel comfortable approaching their supervisor and advisors for help, postdocs can find details of mentoring here, and staff should contact their mentor or line manager. Sometimes, talking to someone outside the department may also help. there are several options available:

  • Student’s can talk to their College Tutor.
  • Cambridge’s confidential support service, Nightline
  • The University’s runs a counselling service for students and staff

If work is affecting your emotional or psychological health, or if your emotional or psychological health is affecting your work, you may find counselling helpful.  The University Counselling Service has both a Student Counselling Service and a Staff Counselling Service and is a free service.  The website has an excellent FAQs section for both students and staff which should answer any concerns you have about using the service.

Wellbeing in the University

For more information on well being in Cambridge see the University wellbeing webpages and the student wellbeing webpage.

Dignity at work

If you have been bullied, or have witnessed bullying, the University’s Dignity @ Work policy sets out what you can do.

If you want to talk about the issue and discuss your options, you could contact:

  • Your line manager
  • The Departmental Administrator
  • The Chair, or other member of, the Equalities & Wellbeing Committee
  • A university Dignity @ Work Contact; 65031;