Research Associate - Climate Modelling
- Research Associate
Since June 2016 at the Department of Zoology, University of Cambridge. Advisor: Dr. Andrea Manica
- Climate Scientist & Scientific Programmer
February 2015 - March 2016 at Climate Analytics in Berlin
Since November 2014 at the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research
- Visiting Scientist
February - April 2014 at the International Pacific Research Center (SOEST, University of Hawaii). Advisor: Prof. Dr. Axel Timmermann; Co-worker: Dr. Malte Heinemann
May 2012 - November 2014 at the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research. Advisor: Dr. Andrey Ganopolski; Co-Worker: Dr. Alexander Robinson
February - April 2012 at the Max Planck Institute for Meteorology in Hamburg
- Ph.D. student
October 2008 to January 2012 at the Max Planck Institute for Meteorology in Hamburg. Advisor: Dr. Johann Jungclaus. Title: Middle Miocene Climate Evolution: The Role of Large-Scale Ocean Circulation and Ocean Gateways
Technische Universität Berlin, AG Nonlinear Dynamics and Pattern Formation (Prof. Dr. Harald Engel), Dipl.-Phys. degree in July 2008. Diploma Thesis: Electrical Excitation Wave Modelling in Heart Tissue (orig:Modellierung elektrischer Erregungswellen im Herzmuskelgewebe)
I'm interested in climate research on different time scales, both, in terms of numerical modelling and observations. I've worked with different (types of) climate models, and I've implemented different kinds of simple models, ranging from tools for policy makers and stakeholders, integrated assessment models, and surface mass and energy balance models for ice sheet-atmosphere interactions.
My main research interests are
- paleo-climate modelling (incl. vegetation-climate interactions)
- glacial cycles and ice sheet-climate interactions
- dynamical/statistical downscaling methods for climate data
- energy balance models
- integrated assessment models
- climate change and climate change policy
- Krapp, M., Robinson, A., and Ganopolski, A.: SEMIC: An efficient surface energy and mass balance model applied to the Greenland ice sheet, The Cryosphere Discussions, in review, 2016.
- Gütschow, J., Jeffery, M. L., Gieseke, R., Gebel, R., Stevens, D., Krapp, M., and Rocha, M.: The PRIMAP-hist national historical emissions time series, Earth Syst. Sci. Data, 8, 571-603, 2016.
- A.-J. Henrot, T. Utescher, B. Erdei, M. Dury, N. Hamon, G. Ramstein, M. Krapp, N. Herold, A. Goldner, E. Favre, G. Munhoven, and L. François: Middle Miocene climate and vegetation models and their validation with proxy data, Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, In Press, 2016.
- Krapp, M. and Jungclaus, J.: Pacific variability under present-day and Middle Miocene boundary conditions, Climate Dynamics, 1-13, 2015.
- Krapp, M. and Jungclaus, J.: The Middle Miocene climate as modelled in an atmosphere-ocean-biosphere model, Climate of the Past, 7, 1169-1188, 2011